We are providing a variety of materials for download and online review to help tell the real story about Ohio’s Learning Standards. Stop back regularly for more information because we will keep this page updated with fresh information as it becomes available.
Editorials and other writings
- Center for Public Education’s Report: “Understanding the Common Core Standards: What they are–What they are not.” (PDF, October 2013)
- Montana Teachers of the Year for the Common Core (PDF, 4 October 2013)
- North Dakota Teachers of the Year Support the Common Core (PDF, 13 September 2013)
- Dennis Van Rokel, President of the National Education Association – describes the concerns that NEA members have about this transition, and urges people knowledgeable about the standards to speak up about misconceptions.
- Cheryl Oldham, Vice President for Education and Workforce at the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation – counters several CCSS myths.
- Letter to the Georgia state school board by Sybilla Beckman, the Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor of Mathematics at the University of Georgia.
- The Common Core and the Common Good, by Charles Blow, New York Times (21 August 2013).
- War on the Core, by Bill Keller, New York Times (18 August 2013).
- “What I Learned About the Opposition to the Common Core State Standards When I Testified in Indiana.” By Jason Zimba – available in PDF format and on Fordham Institute’s Common Core Watch blog.
- Testimony (PDF) given by Jason Zimba in the Indiana Senate (5 August 2013).
- Critics’ math doesn’t add up, editorial by Jason Zimba at Education Gadfly responding to Fox News misrepresentation of the standards by Milgram and McGroarty (2 August 2013).
- Republicans Should Love ‘Common Core,’ editorial by Wu and Frenkel in the Wall Street Journal (6 May 2013).
- “The Mathematics Standards: How they were Developed and Who Was Involved,” video by the Hunt Institute.
- “The English Language Arts Standards: Key Changes and Their Evidence,” video by the Hunt Institute.
- Statement of support from presidents of 16 member mathematical societies of the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences.
- Statement of support from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Achieve the Core’s resources for parents.
- Stand for Children’s action guide Get to the Core, including state-by-state resources.
- Fun Science Facts for Kids – Interesting Earth, Dinosaur, Chemistry Information for Kids
- Flyer from Change the Equation about the standards.
We will regularly curate materials from other sources that further educate students, parents, educators, and employers about Ohio’s Learning Standards. Here’s a list to get you started.
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- Business Roundtable
- Common Core State Standards
- Education Nation
- Excellence in Education
- Conservatives for Higher Standards
- Engage New York
- Free Enterprise
- Hunt Institute
- National Education Association
- Ohio Department of Education
- Ohio Education Association
- Ohio Federation of Teachers (OFT)
- The Teaching Channel
- Ohio PTA
- PTA (and the PTA Parents’ Guide to Student Success)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Homework Help Desk